A to Z of places to visit
- McGill Duncan Gallery – Castle Douglas (Scottish Paintings from 19th Century onwards)
- Artists Town of Kirkcudbright – Tollbooth Art Centre, Harbour Cottage Gallery.
Dumfries and Galloway has 200 miles of coastline, with a great mix of beaches, these are our favourite:
- Castle Point Beach – Rockliffe
- Kipford Beach by Dalbeattie
- Sandyhills Beach by Dalbeattie
- Threave Castle, Castle Douglas, a tower on an Island in the River Dee, ring the bell and the custodian will ferry you over!
- Caerlaverock Castle, Glencaple Dumfries
- Drumlanrig Castle, Thornhill, Dumfries
Visit the Galloway Red Deer Range and Wild Goat Park, Galloway Forest Park, near Newton Stewart.
Nursery at Ellenbank, Kirkcudbright, a beautiful cottage garden plant nursery and winner of many RHS Gold Medals. Open last weekend in April through to first weekend in October. Friday, Saturday and Monday 10am to 5pm.
Farm Shop and Cafe
Vist Loch Arthur Creamery, award winning organic cheeses, freshly baked bread and cakes, Lovely Shop.
Dumfries and Galloway has 29 Golf Courses
- Lochhill Equestrian & Trekking Centre, Ringford, Castle Douglas.
- Barstock Visitor Centre, Trekking for all abilities.
- Cream ‘o’ Galloway, Rainton, Gatehouse of Fleet.
- Glen Urr, Haugh of Urr
An approximate 3 mile walk from Kippford to Rockliffe
Galloway Kite Trail (RSPB Scotland), a circular route around Loch Ken.
Laggan Outdoor Activity Centre
Archery, Segway Adventures, Clay Shooting, Grass Sledging, Zorbing, Mountain Boarding
There are a few museums in Dumfries and Galloway. Visitor Scotland brochure available within the Farmhouse gives full details.
Mersehead RSPB Scotland, offers something different to see every season.
Can be seen at both Caerlaverock Wetland Centre and also at Threave Castle.
Our favourite is at the Otter Pool in Galloway Forest Park.
Queensway Tourist Route
See the Wild Goats and Red Deer and take a walk up to Murrays Monument
A pretty stretch of coastline with a variety of birds, butterflies and flowers.
Mountain Bike trails at Dalbeattie Forest, Mabie Forrest and Kirroughtree
Threave Garden House and Estate
A spectacular 64 acre garden with colourful displays throughout the year, see the principal rooms at the house and enjoy estate walks and wildlife sanctury.
The region protects a wide range of rare and endangered species including a fifth of the Scottish population of Red Squirrels (follow the waymarket red squirrel walk in Dalbeattie Forest)
- My Favourite View – Looking out onto the Solway Coast between Rockliffe & Sandyhills.
- Michaels Favourite View – Looking out from the patio at West Barmoffity.
- Jacks Favourite View – Looking out to Hestan Island from Barlocco Farm, Auchencairn
There are many walks in the area, a favourite is from Balcary Bay Hotel, Auchencairn and around the cliffs, you are most welcome to borrow any walking books/maps during your stay.
We are open all year round.
The closest thing we have to a zoo is the wildlife sanctuary at Kirkcudbright
There are many suggestions of places to visit in the Visit Scotland Brochure: explore Dumfries and Galloway.
We hope that you enjoy your stay at West Barmoffity Farmhouse